Thursday, January 7, 2010

The Happy Existentialist

We make our own purpose in life. Every choice we make brings on more choices, unfolding endlessly before us. Fenced by circumstance, guided by our desires, we move forward as we will.

Some believe in God, some in justice, some in truth.

I believe in me, and my power in the world to do good or ill, to have my life touch the lives of the people around me. I try to be a good person, to step in where I can, to make things easier for others. I like to have fun. I like sex, and music, and soft fabrics, and good books. I like to feel. I like excess. I like to go back into myself at the end of the day, to recharge and reflect.

I like to give. I like the surprise in someone's eyes when I give them something, do something for them, that makes them feel special. It makes me feel whole. I like to give nice surprises. I like to bake cookies and share them with everyone I meet. I like to give pleasure to people because I like to indulge myself so much. I like to share. Joy shared is joy doubled.

I like to lose control, to be in control, to see where things go. I like to see how other people's choices connect with mine. I like coincidences.

I believe that life is inherently meaningless, that its only meaning is what we bring to it. And I like it just fine that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment